Thursday, February 21, 2013

FAITH OVER FEAR

To serve or not to serve? That was the question.
If you haven't noticed, there are LOTS of people going on missions lately. Especially sisters!

It amazes me that almost every time I read someone's "story" of why they decided to go on a mission, it is unique. Family and friends influence our decision, environmental and financial circumstances also, and marital status among other things. Whatever the reason, though, in the heart of every elder and sister that becomes a missionary should be the desire to serve.
D&C 4
 2 "Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day."
3 "Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work;"

My  own "why" for going on a mission could be a long story but I'll make it short.
A mission was something that I'd always thought about doing but never seriously considered.
The year before the age change happened, I kept thinking about a mission a lot more but made excuses for why I wasn't going to go.
The age change happened. For me, it wasn't a big deal because I'll be 21 in just a few short months. It did do one thing, though, and that was to take away my only good excuse for not seriously considering a mission. I couldn't say, "I'll wait until I'm 21 to decide" anymore.
...just to recap that wonderful announcement!

After a little push from the spirit, myself, and my mom (bless her heart), I started to seriously consider it.
Through the promptings of the spirit, LOTS and LOTS of prayer, reading my patriarchal blessing, the tender mercies of Heavenly Father placing certain individuals in my life at that time, and about a good month's time, I decided that my answer was yes. I was going to serve a mission. 100 percent.
The rest is history!


FAITH OVER FEAR. The letter above is one from my old bishop, the bishop I had at the time I decided to serve a mission. The Relief Society sisters were invited by our bishop to a special evening with dinner and a fireside to start off the semester and reconnect with everyone. For most of the sisters, this may have been just another fireside. For myself, however, it was the fireside where the spirit confirmed the answer to my prayers, as clear as ever.
Like I previously said, I had excuses as to why I wasn't seriously considering a mission. "I'm not 21 yet", "I've already registered for school", "I might lose my scholarships", "Everyone is going on a mission now and I don't want to follow a trend", and other excuses were all ones that I used to convince myself against deciding. While all of these factors were legitimate things to consider, none were really preventing me from serving a mission.
At the core of my excuses was simply fear.
I feared that I wouldn't be able to handle the demands of missionary work. I feared that I wasn't smart enough in my gospel knowledge and scriptural doctrine and memorization. I feared having to enter a new country all alone and adjust to new culture, foods, language, and customs. I feared everything.

Alma 26:12 "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
Proverbs 3: 5 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart' and lean not unto thine own understanding."
6 "In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

I love these scriptures and know that they are true.
They have taught me this simple principle: Faith Over Fear.
Fear does not come from God but from the adversary. What we need is faith. Gordon B. Hinckley, a beloved prophet of God once said, "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear." A big part of preparation is developing our own faith in God and Christ.
For me, it was only when I let go of the all the fear I had that I was able to put my faith and trust in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I know that they will strengthen me as I continue to exercise faith in them.





No comments:

Post a Comment